Interfacing with our numerous internal clients the Patent Analyst provides Intellectual Property support on the business processes of the company and its affiliates. Within the Legal Department (IP team) the Patent Analyst will be collaborating with the engineers and the business operatives, studying the IP related requests and providing initial counsel on the technical elements of the new developments’ exploitation, validity, IP matters and protection strategy etc.
- Conduct regular and transverse prior art studies and analysis during or after product conception
- Study and analyze competitors patents and patent portfolios
- Participate actively in the IP studies of the different R&D projects and report on the follow-up of such projects to the IP Manager
- Evaluate and analyze technical documents (drawings etc.),
- Initial evaluation of inventions
- Invention analysis and initial technical analysis for potential patentability
- Prior art studies
- Support Inventors to improve the quality of invention disclosures with added illustrations, pictures, improved disclosure descriptions and/or improved concept development
- Participate in the brainstorming sessions on new concepts, give feedback to the IP team on these sessions and on the results expected
- Support the timely management of invention disclosure/ patent applications to facilitate the completion of the patent applications
- Communicate matters with local teams on IP strategic matters like filing, extension or maintenance decisions, according to internal company procedures and exchanges with the IP team
- Assist the IP network to increase the awareness of the R&D teams of IP strategic questions and IP risk management
- Provide technical surveillance of competitors and active patents related to the activity of the company
- Coordinate the matters of filing of patent applications, assume the link between the inventor and IP external Firm for the patent filings
- Support IP Manager and local Global Legal Counsel on evaluating counterfeits and infringements for potential litigation matters (defense/offense) related to IP
- Complete, maintain, analyze and use databases – internal and external
- Participate in the IP network exchanges, committees and activities etc...
Key responsibility is to put in place and harmonize the exchanges between the IP team and the local teams on all IP matters, including patent analysis, claims mapping, scope of claims, portfolio analysis, patent valuation etc. Also, being involved in every stage of a project life cycle, support the teams, increase IP awareness and collaboration etc.